July short stories

It’s still hot, not sizzling, but hot. I’m dealing with reading ennui, maybe it’s the weather, but I read just a few stories this last week.

Vintage Books 1966 pb

From The Vintage Anthology of Science Fantasy edited by Christopher Cerf, Vintage 1966 mass market paperback:

“An Egg A Month from All Over” by Idris Seabright (very unusual in every way)

“There will Come Soft Rains” by Ray Bradbury (when the world ends…)

”And Now the News” by Theodore Sturgeon (an especially dark story)

”No-Sided Professor” by Martin Gardner (math-oriented)

”Random Quest” by John Wyndham (Wyndham strikes again)

Not a lot of stories, but I did finish two novels, A Solitude of Wolverines and The Killing Hills. I’ll continue to peck away at this anthology, as I dabble with novels both on hand and those starting to come in from the library.

About Rick Robinson

This entry was posted in Books & Reading. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to July short stories

I have been having trouble finding something I really like too. But I have kept on with two or so short stories a day. This week it was Antonya Nelson, Jim Shepard, and now that I finished the Nelson, Howard Fast. All are more or less straight fiction, though some of Shepard’s stories could fit in sub-genres. My problem with him is, though his stuff is always well written, sometimes all his research on a topic (Hadrian’s Wall, for one example) is out there in an info dump.

Now that I got my fourth new Crippen & Landru collection in the mail, I really need to start catching up on them.

2. 1412064gk says:

The Vintage Anthology of Science Fantasy edited by Christopher Cerf resides in my basement somewhere. I read it long ago. I don’t have any vivid memories of it.

3. Steve A Oerkfitz says:

I really like the Sturgeon, Seabright (Margaret St. Clair) and Bradbury. Don’t recall ever reading the other two but am a big fan of Wyndham.

Have read a lot of Bradbury, not sure why him and not others. Maybe he was introduced to me in school with his excellent novels.

• Bradbury has the reputation of a fine writer who creates in not quite genre specific stories and novels. I’ve read his SF, fantasy, plays and general fiction. Perhaps my favorite Bradbury is Dandelion Wine, which I’ve read several times.

That sounds like a good anthology, Rick. Sorry to hear that the reading ennui is continuing and hope that it ends soon.

6. Todd Mason says:

“Idris Seabright” was Margaret St. Clair, an old favorite of mine I don’t tire of recommending.