Pulp Art by Robert Lesser, Random House / Gramercy Books 1997 hardcover. Non-fiction, mystery / art theme.
I’m glad I did, as I enjoyed the text, sidebars and artwork a lot. Though most of the artwork shown in the book was new to me the first time I read this book, much of it is more familiar since I have books by Illustrated Press on some of them, including Walter Baumhofer and H. J. Ward.
This is an informative and entertaining book.
- Introduction: Populist Culture and Pulp Art
- Science Fiction, Science Fact and Fantasy: Painted Answers
- The New Knights
- The Noblest Savage
- Ladies In Terror
- To Dare the Devil: Aviation, War and Western Art
- Appendix I: Vox Populi, letters to the Editor
- Appendix II: Original Pulp Paintings, A Collector’s Guide
- Appendix III: Artists Biographies