Current Reading: Anderson, Coxe, Mammay

Complete Psychotecnic League Stories Volume 2 by Poul Anderson – science fiction short and medium length stories. I mentioned when I listed the third volume of these stories that I was reading them out of order, and now here’s the second one. These are pretty darn good SF stories, but I think the third volume is better.

Murder For Two by George Harmon Coxe – hardboiled mystery. This is the second of Coxe’s Flash Casey novels, featuring Flashgun Casey, photographer for The Morning Express newspaper. Casey gets embroiled in a double murder in this one, the first of a reporter who

planetside

works for his newspaper, the second of a suspect in that murder. I’ll be doing a Forgotten Book post on this soon.

Planetside by Michael Mammay – military science fiction. I don’t read a lot of military science fiction as it’s seems to be defined these days as a specific sub-genre, but that’s what this first novel is, and I enjoyed it, mostly. I thought the ending was both abrupt and too easy. My only conclusion is it’s a setup for a sequel. We’ll see.

So how about you?
What have you been reading?

This entry was posted in Books & Reading, current reading. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Current Reading: Anderson, Coxe, Mammay

I’ve read some military SF lately too, like the first in Marko Kloos’s Frontline series and Tanya Huff’s Confederation books. I see both of them praise PLANETSIDE too, I have it on hold.
    We were away for four days so I didn’t get much reading done other than short stories, I finished the O. Henry I was reading (STRICTLY BUSINESS, 1910 originally) and I’m reading the final Ed Hoch collection of Dr. Sam Hawthorne stories (CHALLENGE THE IMPOSSIBLE), some of which I’d read before in EQMM, as well as TEN YEAR STRETCH, edited by Martin Edwards and Adrian Muller, and WORD PUPPETS by Mary Robinette Kowal. I don’t read much fantasy, which is how I’d characterize this so far, but it’s OK.

I’m also reading WILLIAM HENRY HARRISON by (New York Times columnist) Gail Collins, the surprisingly interesting short biography in The American Presidents series. Harrison’s father (Benjamin V) signed the Declaration of Independence (John Adams always referred to him as “The Signer”), yet Harrison may have added more land to the U.S, as Governor of Indiana Territory (from 1800 to 1812) through deals with various Indian tribes as anyone else.
    I haven’t had time to start any of the other library books I have (new Colin Cotterill for one), but I hope this week will be better, especially as the heat is back after a welcome break,

• I realize reading that last sentence that I’m woefully far behind not only on Cotterill, but on many series. Yesterday I was looking at Order of Books for the Sharon McCone series, and there must be thirty books! I think I’ve read only the first 4 or 5. Yikes. I’m getting ready to read Laura Lippman’s first book, and that’s a long series now too. How does this happen?

Rick, I can take or leave military science fiction so mostly i just leave it. Anderson and Coxe are both favorites, with Coxe being very underserved today.

Once again, most of this week has been devoted to an annotated book, THE ANNOTATED BIG SLEEP. I know annotated books can be frustrating, but the detail in this one is fascinating and well worth the effort. I also finished Joseph Koenig’s FALSE NEGATIVE, another great read from Hard Case Crime. My FFB this week was Henry Kuttner’s LANDS OF THE EARTHQUAKE — pure pulp.
    The rest of my reading this week were four graphic novels. Joe Hill’s TALES FROM THE NIGHTSIDE adapted three scripts from Hill’s aborted reboot. Not as good as some of Hill’s other comic book work but still very good. BLACK LIGHTNING: YEAR ONE by Jen Van Meter capitalizes on the current television show. Since I didn’t care for the show, my expectations for this GN were fairly low. They were met. Jason Aarons’ DR. STRANGE, VOLUME 4: MR. MISERY was a confused muddle. Nate Powell’s COME AGAIN, about a commune with the strange ability of forgetfulness amongst a shifting landscape, was difficult but ultimately rewarding.

I’m currently reading Megan’s DARE ME. On deck are Robert McCammon’s latest and Amanda Palmer’s nonfiction book about the power of asking.

It’s cooled down this week to the mid to high eighties, with a pleasant gulf breeze. I hope everything is jake in your part of the world.

• It’s cooled down here too, Jerry, into the 70s which is right where I like it. We had a tiny amount of rain yesterday, though I’m not sure it was even measurable, but it did wash a lot of the smoke out of the air. Thank goodness! I haven’t read a GN since I did that purge a while back (when I sent you those fragrant ones), but one of these days…

3. Great minds think alike. I’ve been picking up George Harmon Coxe books when I run across them. I love that DELL Mapback you feature on today’s blog. I’m pretty much caught up on Library books and I haven’t ordered anything from AMAZON in a week (something of a record for me!).

SUNY at Buffalo’s librarians are sending out a van to pick up a 2,000 book donation on Wednesday. Of course, of all the days to choose from, they chose the one day this week with rain in the forecast!

George, I’m surprised you didn’t get an emergency call from Amazon to make sure you’re OK!

I’ve kept a few Mapbacks and old Popular Library books just for the covers,

• The Coxe books are hard to find. The copy of Murder for Two I read was a loan from Evan (Dave) Lewis, though it was too fragile to read, so I got an ebook of it.

You books donations to the collection are amazing.

Does listening to podcasts about books count? SPEAKING OF MYSTERIES had on Olen Steinhauer and his new book sounded great. He also talked about Berlin Station (on Epix) which I have somehow missed. Just picked up Convenience Store Woman (Murata) from the library. Phil is reading Beautiful Things by Lawrence Osborne.

• Sure, Patti, it counts, and is interesting. Lately I’ve a problem you’re familiar with, picking up a book that sounded (review, blurb, whatever) and not liking it after only a few pages. My list of DNFs is enough that I’ll do a post on it next week.

I have a few books by Coxe but haven’t read any yet. I look forward to your post.

Last week, I finished A Cold Day for Murder by Stabenow and was very happy with that book. I will have to read more in the series.

Then I read The Bigger They Come by A. A. Fair, the first Cool and Lam book. I liked it a lot. And then A Spy by Nature by Charles Cumming. It was a different kind of spy story but I liked it too.

Now I am reading The Time Traveler’s Wife by Audrey Niffennegger and An Uncommon Reader by Alan Bennett. Neither one is mystery fiction which is my normal fare.

What I liked about Stabenow’s series, Tracy, is how each book takes place in a different part of Alaska, much like Archer Mayor’s books move Joe Gunther around Vermont.

Time travel is one of my things, so I liked THE TIME TRAVELER’S WIFE a lot (though not as much as Jack Finney’s TIME AND AGAIN).

• tracybham says:

Jeff, I do look forward to reading more of Stabenow’s books, and maybe I will try some more of the Joe Gunther series too.

I am about a third of the way into THE TIME TRAVELER’S WIFE and have a hard time putting it down. I have read TIME AND AGAIN, but it has been so long I have mostly forgotten it. I should reread it.

6. Steve Oerkfitz says:

Read Jo Walton’s book about the Hugo awards. So many things it makes me want to go back and read/reread. Reread a couple of short story collections by Ian R. MacLeod one of my favorite SF/F writers. Read The Line That Held Us by David Joy. I highly recommend it for fans of Daniel Woodrell. Am now reading the new T. Jefferson Parker. Swift Vengeance. I liked his early books buy for some reason stopped reading him about 8 books ago.
    Read some Coxe when I was a teenager. I remember enjoying them but can’t tell you anything about them.
    Not much of a fan of military SF. Most of it seems to be a bit too right wing for my tastes.

• Yes, that book made me put a bunch of stuff on The List too, Steve. Nto sure why, but I rarely reread short story collections. I’ll have to ponder why that might be. Any thoughts?

I agree about Parket. I really liked his LAGUNA HEAT (1st or 2nd in series), but then I lived there at the time, which no doubt influenced me. I haven’t read any of his books in ages. I didn’t read hard-boiled in my teens, didn’t even know about it. I was in my late Twenties when I discovered Hammett and Chandler, and then off I went, but Coxe was new to me this year.