I read 123 books in 2015.
That’s a little above my annual goal of 104, two per week, and it’s about the same as I read last year. I read a lot of old stuff, and my tastes are eclectic, so this looks like an odd list, and I guess it is. But acording to the little numerical ratings I stick in my list of books I read, here were the favorites of the year.
I mostly read novels, and there were a lot that I liked almost as much as these, but according to my rating, these nine were the favorites (listed in no particular order):
- Blowback by Bill Pronzini, mystery (Nameless)
- The Zebra-Striped Hearse by Ross Macdonald, mystery (Archer)
- Voyage of the Basilisk by Marie Brennan, fantasy (Lady Trent)
- The Human Division and The End of All Things by John science fiction, (Old Man’s War series)
- A Darkling Sea by
- Poor Poor Ophelia by Carolyn Weston, mystery
- Behind That Curtain by Earl Derr Biggers, mystery (Chan)
- Spike of Swift River by Jack O’Brien, adventure
Short Stories: I read 280 short stories in 2015.
That’s an amazing number for me, easily three times my usual short form reading. I know people who read one or more a day, but for me this is exceptional.
My short story reading was weighted heavily to Sherlock Holmes, canon and pastiche, especially during the second half of the year, which explains three of these five. I did read non-mystery short stories during the year, but none of those books made the top of the list which these did. Again, in no particular order.
- Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, mystery
- Complete Miss Marple Stories by Agatha Christie, mystery
- Mammoth Book of New Sherlock Holmes Adventures by Mike Ashley, mystery
- MX Book of New Sherlock Holmes Stories Part 1 edited by David Marcum, mystery
- Inspector Colbeck’s Casebook: Thirteen Tales from the Railway Detective by Edward Marston (Keith Miles), mystery
Art & Illustration
I love art books, but rarely treat myself to them; they’re expensive and occasionally disappointing. These two were not, they were excellent.
- The Art of Mouse Guard 2005-2015 David Peterson
- The Art of Robert E. McGinnis Robert McGinnis & Art Scott
It was a very good year.