Current Reading, April 20 – 26, 2015

Dragons of Ordinary FarmWhile on a week-long trip to the coast, I did very little reading and what I did was on the iPad. I shifted from ebook to ebook, getting very little of any of them read before I shifted to a physical book. So for the week I read some of many, finished none.

I’m currently halfway through The Sound of Their Music – The Story of Rodgers & Hammerstein by Frederick W. Nolan, and I’m pecking away at The Dragons of Ordinary Farm by Tad Williams and Deborah Beale.

The Great Leader and the Fighter PilotBarbara finished The Lion, The Lamb, The Hunted by Andrew E. Kaufman and liked it well enough to want to read his second one. She also just finished reading The Great Leader and the Fighter Pilot: The True Story of the Tyrant Who Created North Korea and the Young Lieutenant Who Stole His Way to Freedom by Blaine Harden. She found it very interesting.

Now she has started Wrongful Death by L.J. Sellers, one of the books in the book bag at Left Coast Crime

Have you read these books or authors?
What are you reading?

This entry was posted in Books & Reading, Mystery, Non-fiction. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Current Reading, April 20 – 26, 2015

Interesting list, you two. I finally finished Jacques Futrelle’s collection of all THE THINKING MACHINE stories (about 50), which I enjoyed for the most part, These were written between 1906 and his death on the Titanic in 1912, and it was such a different world, one where the brilliant amateur not only solves baffling “impossible” crimes but has the police at his beck and call. Every once in a while it’s good to read something from what now seems like almost an alien era.

Second was Andre Norton’s SARGASSO OF DEATH, the first of hers I’ve ever read, recommended by George Kelley several weeks ago. I liked this first in her Solar Queen series and have the next two on the way.

Third was non fiction, Louis Auchincloss’s self-explanatory THE MAN BEHIND THE BOOK: Literary Profiles. These short pieces (about 10 pages each) range from the familiar (Henry James, S. N. Behrman, Maxwell Anderson) to the lesser known (to me, of course) to people I knew nothing about (Iris Origo, Lord Bryce, Robert Grant). He manages to cover their lives and key works in a few entertaining pages, and gives you a few new authors to look up.

The first book, by the way, was an ebook, the second from PaperbackSwap, the third a library book.

No new books this week. I’m currently reading TAR HEEL DEAD, a collection of mystery stories by North Carolina authors (who knew O. Henry was born in North Carolina? Not me), Andrian McKinty’s latest Sean Duffy book, GUN STREET GIRL, and BETWEEN YOU & ME: Confessions of a Comma Queen by Mary Norris (all library books).

• Richard says:

Jeff, BETWEEN YOU & ME: Confessions of a Comma Queen by Mary Norris is one of the ebooks I dipped into on the trip. I’m starting to hope there is more on her career at The New Yorker and the whole thing isn’t just a grammar and punctuation handbook. I’m back to reading OLD MARS as that is the next library book due and I’ve already renewed it once, though I can do so again.

2. I’m still mired in Correcting Mode. I’ll have the research papers corrected by the end of this week, bu then I’ll be Reviewing and the FINAL EXAMS are looming.

I am mired in a book club book TH END OF LIFE BOOK CLUB, which is depressing me beyond words. The dying woman may be the most fully actualized woman who ever lived.

• Richard says:

I really try hard to avoid depressing. I get enough looking at the local and world news. The book does sound like it’s well written, if the character is that impactful.

Patti, that sounds incredibly depressing. Doesn’t your book club ever pick a book that isn’t?

Another slow week. I read John Dickson Carr’s SPEAK OF THE DEVIL, an 8-part radio play from1941 and an early volume from Crippen & Landru. I also read the Robert Silverberg anthology ALPHA 2, one of three in the series I have on hand. Finally, I read Roz Chast’s CAN WE TALK ABOUT SOMETHING MORE PLEASANT?, a graphic novel memoir of her parents’ last days — a touching, warm, and honest look that manages to find humor in a time that is often less than humorous.

On another note, we drove our thirteen-year-old granddaughter to Pennsylvania yesterday to buy a hedgehog and ended up with two hedgehogs. The couple who were selling them had moved from Baltimore to rural Pennsylvania, only to find out that hedgehogs were illegal to own in Pennsylvania. Who knew?

I hope you and Barbara had a great time on your sojourn to the coast.

• Richard says:

Jerry, we did have a great time. Only one of the days was rainy, and we hiked on the beach anyway, though the wind was a problem and we got pretty wet. Got some great photos, though.

I decided to pass on that Chast book, sounded too depressing – see my comment to Patti above – but did read that radio play. Hedgehogs? I didn’t know they could be pets, thought they belonged in the wild, or in story books. Still think so, I guess.

I did make one mistake. We got one book in from PaperbackSwap.com: Ann Aguirre, BLUE DIABLO, though this one is really for Jackie. I still intend to read her other series.

I did read the Chast book and, while very well done, your instincts were correct. I’m glad I didn’t read it while my aging parents were still alive.

8. Richard says:

I think George said it was sad, and I’d read reviews of the subject matter. I just decided not to be bummed out.

9. Richard, now that home renovation is over, I’m looking forward to getting back to my books and ebooks. I’ll have read something concrete next week.